Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Sandy’s Walk

 A walk I never intended to walk, aren’t we all constantly surprised by life’s twists and turns…..Approaching 65, thinking about setting out a slow unveiling of my retirement walk, it was to be filled with last adventures in the skies with coworkers of 44 years. A few less working days as I enjoyed the joys at home with family, grands and friends. And a new husband after all. Just married in the fall of September 2022, we were setting out plans for what our future held. 

 But Cancer?  Not a journey I saw myself battling. But does anyone?  There it is. Facing you. The words spoken they don’t take back. Now it’s just - look ahead at your new reality and make a plan. Not that other plan you liked so well, But now this one. Details, details. Many are jumbled in my head. I’ll unravel them here over time. But for now, just some simple starting facts.

Liver cancer. Non cirrhotic hepatocellular carcinoma - HCC for short. A tumor measuring over 5 cm. Nonresectable. Meaning too large for surgical removal.  But there are so many new ways to battle this one. As an April scan revealed, it has not spread to other organs so there is relief in that. No one would ever look at me and think an intruder inhabits my body. I’ve felt pretty normal and looking back over the past year, my symptoms were just annoying other things. But the truth is my new reality. And so on this walk I go. With all of you by my side. I can’t already begin to thank you enough for the outpouring of love and support. I’ll write with information and I’ll write with feeling. But these words are for each of us for I know my fight becomes yours too. As our world of health and well being is one we share. 

My health journey verse is from Psalm 139

You know what I am going to say before I even say it Lord, You go before me and You follow me, you place your hand of blessing on my head.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me to understand!   Verses 4-6 

May 22, 2024



No comments:

Post a Comment